Veronte is the components division from Embention, which has developed the control station PCS for high performance operations. This pole control station gives the operator a ready-to-use system, which can be personalized for any kind of mission and includes all required components for a Ground Station.
Basic Features - Veronte PCS
Veronte PCS is ready to be used with a Ground configuration, all sensors and devices integrated and the required wires to connect it to any other Veronte device (tracker, MCS…)
Veronte PCS is the main ground control station system for Veronte operations. This system is available with different devices configuration in order to fit all operational requirements from each application. The main applications that can be develop with this system are:
- Mapping and photogrammetry
- Environmental control and research
|1||Veronte PCS Control Station|
|1||Veronte PCS charger|
|1||Harness for PCS (with 40cm cables for USB, Ethernet, Joystick & Power Input)|
|1||Mast 150 cm – 315 cm , 3.4 kg|
|1||Mast accessories: Antenna adaptor & 2 fitting knobs|
|1||5m ethernet extension cable|
|1||5m USB extension cable|
|1||5m joystick extension cable|
|1||Expansion Bay Male Connector FGG.2B.316.CLAD72Z|
Below you can find a measurements drawing for the PCS. On the left view see Veronte axis, according to how it is embedded in the system.
Product Components - Interface dimensions
PCS Interface - Parts identification
|A||68 pin connector|
|B||Power Button (below C)|
|C||Automatic pressure purge|
|D||SMA (female) for Secondary GNSS receiver (below A)|
|E||Connector for Expansion Bay|
|F||SMA (female) for Radio Antenna|
|G||Advanced Primary GNSS receiver|
Veronte PCS and its accessories comes with our standard connectors, being the following models for each type:
|Main Connector (PCS)||ECW.LM.368.XLM|
The 68 pin main connector has the distribution of input/output channels as follows:
PCS Unit - Input pins
For the Expansion bay connector, the pinout is shown below:
PCS Unit - Output pins
|Main Connector (to PCS)||FGW.LM.368.XLCT|
Do NOT connect the CS harness provided for other Veronte units. ONLY use PCS own Matting connector.
The integrated battery can be used with no power connections, allowing the system to be connected and disconnected from the battery charger during the operation without turning off the system.
PCS is provided with an intelligent battery charger which improves the charging process and optimize it. In order to charge the battery, follow the next steps:
- Ensure the power source is properly connected.
- To check the state of the battery check the led which is embedded in the Power source: red means charging and green is fully charged.
- There is no need on turning On the system for charging the PCS.
Do NOT charge from a different charger or power source. It will damage internally the system.
How to operate¶
Veronte PCS is a pre-configured device which requires some particular connections. Below there are some configurations for the setup of the PCS system. Particularly, stablishing connection between the Control Station and PCS (via USB or Wi-Fi/Ethernet), Joystick and Tracking Antennas Connection and a Troubleshooting section.
- Ports RS232 and RS485 has some particularities. Refer to Section 4 Warnings form more information.
- Connect your PCS to your Control Station via USB.
- Open Pipe and go to Preferences – Connections – Serial COM – Add – Serial COM which matches the Veronte.
Wi-Fi / Ethernet
If the radio frequency in use is 2.4GHz, it is recommended to use the 5 GHz signal for PCS communication, disabling 2.4GHz if interferences are noticed.
First of all, a connection between the Control Station (MCS, Computer, etc) and the PCS is needed. For that the two available options are Wi-Fi or Ethernet. If connecting through Ethernet, step 2 does not apply.
If connecting through Wi-Fi, search for the PCS accordingly to the indicated network name from the identification badge (name will be like PCSXXXXX-XXG) and connect to that network (use the password provided in the badge as well).
Password can be changed in accordance to 6. Anex A. Advanced Wi-Fi configuration.
Once the connection is done, enter in Pipe, Preferences – Connections and configure Port information (set it to 3000) and check Enable TCP box. Find the configuration in the following picture. With this, Veronte shall appear connected. If not, refer to the Troubleshooting section (4.1).
Joystick connection is preconfigured on main external connector (Pin 55 - EQEP_A – CAP 1). Wireless joystick connection is also possible with the installation of a joystick receiver on the Expansion Bay. Expansion Bay joystick input (pin 8 for PPM or pin 9 for SBUS) can be activated from Veronte PIPE (Setup – Devices – Others – Digital Input Manager).
Tracking Antenna Connection
PWM 1 and 2 are pre-configured to be used with a Tracker Antenna. This does not disable them for different applications (consider a proper configuration might be needed)
Wi-Fi / Ethernet not connecting.. If the connection is not seen after following the steps from section 3.2.1.b Wi-Fi / Ethernet follow the next instructions:
Open cmd and text ipconfig. Check that IPv4 Address is 192.168.8.3. Now there exists 2 options: if the IP is ok, ensure to make a total charge of the battery. If the IP is not the same:
The IP can be reserved for another device which has been connected recently. Wait for 2 minutes to free the IP (disconnect any other device from the PCS that could be interfering)
If there has not been any other device connected recently, the problem might be related to the adapter, which means a static IP has to be configured. For that, go to Change Wi-Fi/Ethernet Settings – Change Adapter options and go to Properties in your desired network (in the following picture it is done for Wi-Fi network)
How to operate - Wi-Fi/Ethernet Settings
Once in Properties, check Protocol IPv4 and again Properties. There, configure Static IP and introduce the data on the following picture:
How to operate - Static IP Configuration
If after all these steps it cannot be configured, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Port RS232 has possible connections in both external harness (68 pin) and Expansion Bay (16 pin). CAUTION: only one of both can be used. They drive to the same input channel, but this configuration is thought to ease the connection of any device from the Expansion Bay if needed.
- Only one dhcp device connection can be done simultaneously. If more than one is meant to be connected, then it is needed to configure a Static IP, as stablished in section 4.1.
- Veronte PCS is designed according to IP67 for the system to be closed. However, it losses its resistance to water meanwhile outer cover is opened.
- If the internal bay is opened, product warranty is lost.
- Keep the PCS in vertical position, see Z axis pointing top / 68 pin connector to the ground.
- Do not cover the pressure purge, in order to ensure the correct flow of the system
- Avoid any hits during transportation or operation, since some of the components could suffer damage. Veronte PCS is fully integrated in a box ready for external hits, but any which is strong enough could affect internal components from the system
You can contact Embention in any moment if you need further help and support from the acquired products. You can do that through email, telephone or by visiting our office.
Embention contact data is as follows:
Telephone: (+34) 965 421 115
Annex A. Advanced Wi-Fi Configuration¶
Open a browser and introduce the following address on the search bar: 192.168.8.1
The password is “12345678”. For being able to Access this menu, you need to have your unit linked.
In the following picture, it is shown the Welcoming menu.
Advanced Wi-Fi Configuration - Wi-Fi Welcoming menu
On the left hand side (red squared on the picture) the 2 antennas from the router can be connected and disconnected (for Wi-Fi signals 2.4 and 5 GHz).
Clicking in one of them, and accessing the button Settings the following menu will be opened, where both the Wi-Fi name (SSID) and its Password can be changed.
Advanced Wi-Fi Configuration - Wi-Fi name and password